Monday, July 23, 2012

Summer Vacation, everything else

We left Glenwood on the 4th and headed to Mapleton. Adam & Jennie were kind to let us crash their 4th of July BBQ and watch their street firework show. It ended up being quite exciting! They hadn't meant to purchase any aerial fireworks but several were. One big box one tipped over and launched fireworks at our feet, the neighbors' trees across the street, everywhere! It was crazy! Fortunately nothing happened and we got quite a laugh out of it. We had a great time and the kids had a happy reunion with Joshua, Jacob, Andrew, Sam and Eliza. 
The next night we went to the new City Creek shopping center in Salt Lake with Grandpa Green and Bethany. It was beautiful! We waited hours to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. I felt like one of those bad parents that keep their kids out late. I will never judge again! The kids were surprisingly patient and my fish sticks and cheesecake were heavenly. 
Another highlight was getting to go to Cameron's 6th birthday party. We started out at a bounce house (where the air conditioning was not keeping up with the 100 degree weather--it was soooo hot!) and then had dinner and cake at Becky's in-laws. He loves Herbie and had this great cake. It was fun to be included in this family event--something we usually miss out on living so far away. 


It took 2 attempts to go boating. The first time we realized after we were out on the water that the plug had been stolen and the boat was sinking! We quickly went back to shore and called it a day. Fortunately we were able to go again the next week. Here's Karen with gorgeous Aunt Bethany. 
Sammy, Andrew and Isaac having the time of their lives!


Joshua, Natalie, Megan and Jacob having not such a fun time. 4 people in the raft didn't work so this ride was short lived. 
Jennie and I got taken for quite a ride. I ended up with whiplash but it was a blast. At one point as the boat was slowly circling us, creating a large wake, I said, "Um...we're not moving. At some point we're going to move. What's going to happen?!" It was terrifying and exciting at the same time. 


We went on a couple of hikes with Grandpa Warner while we were in Utah. One was to "Christensen Creek" in Payson Canyon. Sadly, I have no pictures (I'm working on it...). It was super hot that day but the canyon was perfect. The hike is short and then we had fun damming the creek and diverting the water. Grandpa, Isaac, Natalie and I also hiked the Y. We rewarded ourselves with ice cream from the BYU Creamery. 
Andrea and I took the kids on a picnic. We were cracking up over our 1 liter Dr. Pepper & Coke. Andrea thought it was a 2 liter when I first carried it out of the store. 
We walked along a path to a home in Sandy that has a zebra and emu. Randomly, right in the middle of the city. It was hot and the kids got whiny, but we made it. 
The zebra
The emu
We also spent a day at BYU. We braved the bookstore (where I bought 2 shirts after saying I wasn't going to buy any--I'm a sucker for anything BYU!), the food court and the creamery. 
Megan, Natalie, Isaac and Karen at the BYU art museum with Andrew lurking in the background. 
We headed back to Salem to pack up the car. I had collected a few things on this trip, plus we had my mom's luggage since she was driving home with me, so my parents were kind enough to loan us their car top carrier. It was a long 2 day drive home, but the kids were great, we made it and it was home sweet home! Bye Utah--see you next summer. 
Other highlights (but no pictures): seeing Annelise and her family, visiting Daniel and his family, talking politics with Uncle Dick and hearing his hilarious story about arguing with the hotel clerk about Obama, visiting Aunt Pat & Uncle Glen, watching Jacob's lacrosse game, watching Joshua give his first talk in church, swimming at the Spanish Fork pool, and jumping at Hang Time in Orem.

1 comment:

Becca Jane said...

Aww, cute zebra! You should get one.

I can't wait until my kids are old enough to hike the Y.