Thursday, July 8, 2010

4th of July Weekend

As I mentioned in my previous post, Christian, Robyn and their kids came to visit us from Michigan. After church and naptime on Sunday, we headed out in the 90 degree heat to tour Historic Kirtland. First we stopped at the Morley Farm. Next we went to the main part of the Kirtland sites. We watched the film at the Visitors Center (I never tire of it) and saw the Whitney store & home, the sawmill and the ashery. I've seen the Kirtland sites so many times so I left my camera in the car. But I wish I'd had it because there were the most beautiful yellow daisies surrounding the sawmill and ashery. GORGEOUS! If it hadn't been so hot, I would have run back to the car for it. We had a picnic dinner by the visitors center, then stopped at the Kirtland Temple to take pictures. It was closed for tours but we were able to walk around it and see the outside of it. It's an impressive structure--especially when you consider the poverty of those early saints. Can I count this as temple attendence since the Columbus Temple is 3 1/2 hours away?! Being the brave parents we are, we next headed to a site to watch fireworks. We had 8 bored, tired, thirsty and supposedly hungry kids that we needed to sit for an hour before the fireworks started. I think it was worth it... I love fireworks!! And the show really didn't disappoint, but it was a relief to head home. Although we sat still in traffic for 15 minutes before we started moving. On Monday Robyn and I snuck away to watch Eclipse. I loved it! I missed the teenage girls screaming and giggling at Jacob for me though. Robyn and I giggled, but no screaming. After a yummy BBQ, we headed to the Outdoor YMCA for a couple of hours of swimming. It was refreshing in the 90 degree weather. It was so nice to have family visit us for the 4th. The kids had a lot of fun playing together and we kept surprisingly busy. Originally we were going to be in Utah this week but we decided to do This is Kirtland! instead (and not spend 48 hours in the car or thousands on plane tickets). So I was a little sad to hear about all the things my family was doing together. But we had a great time and I wouldn't trade it.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

We sure love you guys! We need to get together more!!! We still need to go to the zoo before our pass expires...at the end of this month!!!

Robyn said...

Such a fun weekend!

Becca Jane said...

We miss you!!

I got a new phone today and put Heartbreak Warfare as my ringtone.

Joni said...

Wow...how fun to have those kind of places so close by to visit. I would love to do a church history tour sometime. Lucky you!