Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Need a Nap

My mom came to visit us last week. It was a fun, busy week. The first day we went to the kids' activity hour at the library. Natalie and Megan have been reading up a storm to earn prizes (aka junk) for every 10 hours they read. Karen is at a disadvantage since she's not reading on her own yet, but she did finally make it to the first prize level and was satisfied with that. That afternoon we went to see Toy Story 3. Loved it! I was a little worried about taking Isaac. Even when he's being good, he tends to be very loud (this is our problem at church). He wasn't too bad though. He wandered around the theater for a little while but it wasn't crowded so he wasn't bothering anyone. Since I "ignored" him he soon got bored of trying to be naughty and he came back and sat down. I was relieved to make it through the entire movie.The next day we went to the beach for a couple of hours before we had to head home to put Natalie and Megan's hair in curlers. I was glad to have my mom there because Isaac soon tired of the beach and I was able to wander around with him while my mom kept an eye on the girls. We got frozen custard at a place called Karen's afterwards. Then it was movies and games and naps while the girls' hair curled. I was excited for my mom to see the play for the first time. We had reserved seats on the front row and the sound was pretty good. They individually miked some of the actors and that made a huge difference. We saw the play Thursday, Friday and Saturday while she was here. She really enjoyed it.On Friday we went to a nature center and hiked during the time we had before I had to do the girls' hair (are you noticing a trend?). Natalie complained the whole time and Isaac cried when it was time to go. It's been hard keeping everyone happy this summer!On Saturday my mom, Karen and I went to Middlefield where there is a large Amish population. Karen loved seeing all of the horses and buggies. We shopped, ate at an Amish restaurant and saw a cheese factory. Jonathan loved the cheese I brought back for him and he's looking forward to taking company there again.On Monday we toured the Kirtland Temple. I hadn't been inside of it since we moved back and it was interesting to see it and listen to the tour guide. I'd like to go back again without Isaac. He was a little distracting, although Grandma's iTouch kept him mostly entertained. There is a $25 tour that takes you to all the off-limits areas of the temple that my mom and I want to do on her next trip out. Next we headed to the mall where I spent too much money. The Children's Place was having a great sale and the kids found Webkinz for 75% off. And we got Natalie a new school bag. Isaac loved the play area. He was sad to leave there too.My mom took us out to eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant that evening. Then she headed home with Isaac (she asked him: Do you want to go to Dollar Tree? No. Wal-Mart? No. Where do you want to go? The mall!") and the rest of us headed to the This is Kirtland! cast party. It was at a private neighborhood beach on Lake Erie. The girls had a blast swimming in the lake with their friends--the waves were huge! Jonathan and I enjoyed visiting with people without having to keep track of Isaac. No offense to my darling little boy but I do enjoy my breaks from him! I spoke with one of the original script and song writers for the play and it was a fun, interesting discussion about the evolution of the play.Tuesday was the best day. We went to Waldameer, an amusement park in Erie, PA, just an hour from our house. It's a small, family-friendly park--just perfect in my opinion. The kids were non-stop all day going on rides. Karen loved the merry-go-round, Isaac loved the self-propelled trains, and Natalie & Megan loved the roller coasters. We are already looking forward to our trip back next year. We ended the day with ice cream cones from Sara's, recommended by a couple of friends from Wisconsin.

4 comments:

Lindsay Z said...

I want to come visit. Vacations at your place sound AWESOME!

Adam Green said...

Sounds like so much fun! - Jennie

Annelise said...

Isaac is so adorable. I think he and Olivia should ignore both of us together next time you come out to Utah.

Robyn said...

We need to come visit again!