Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spring Break Part II

After returning home from Fort Wayne and hanging around for a day to recover and get our living room, entryway and stairwell painted (!!), we hit the road again for the second half of our spring break. This time we headed to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. I'd never seen it and I wanted to see it before we move back to Wisconsin.
Horseshoe Falls
American Falls
We paid a bunch of money to wait in a really long line to ride an elevator down to the level of the falls and stand behind them (Journey Beneath the Falls). Not really worth it. You do hear and feel the power of the falls though. And we met a really nice couple in line who helped keep our kids entertained and took a family picture for us. After that Natalie passed out in the gift shop. It was early afternoon by this time and we hadn't had lunch yet and as soon as she passed out, I realized that she hadn't eaten breakfast. So the next couple of  hours were spent getting lunch and letting her rest.


Then we found this place called Clifton Hill. Wow--talk about a tacky tourist trap! Haunted houses, wax museums, ferris wheel, bowling, mini golf, IMAX movies, waterpark, shopping, you name it, it was there. And everything was so expensive. We started joking that every time we walked through a door, it cost us $50-60. Jonathan took the younger kids through a haunted house and Natalie and I rode the SkyWheel that night (totally worth it!). The falls are lit up at night and they are beautiful!!


The next day we drove to Palmyra. We saw the log home that Joseph Smith was living in when he was 14, cooper shop, barn, larger home they later built, Sacred Grove, Palmyra Temple, Hill Cumorah, print shop where The Book of Mormon was first published and the Whitmer home where the church was organized. It was a lot to see and by the end Karen was complaining about boring church stuff and too much walking. I loved it all (except the complaining)!












3 comments:

Lindsay Z said...

What a great trip and great pictures! I want to come vacation with you...

Becca Jane said...

Miss you guys!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I know your family so well now, that makes me so happy!!!

I'm really glad we went to the NY side of Niagara, it was so cool!

Trent and Rhonda Wardwell said...

We did the same tour as you guys! We did Niagra and the Canadian side...and Palmyra is amazing! Glad you got to do that! NY State is gorgeous!