Thursday, May 10, 2012

Team Mitt (or I'm Totally Shaking His Hand)

I got an email last week from Mitt Romney's campaign telling me about a town hall meeting in Euclid (a city about 30 minutes away from me). My first thought was "I have to go!". My second thought was "I can't go." The meeting was at 1:30 and I wouldn't be back in time to meet my kids off the bus after school. And what to do with Isaac? Jonathan was leaving that morning to fly to Wisconsin so he couldn't help me out. So I just let it go. Sort of. Sunday evening I was at a Stake Women's Conference and I was sitting next to my friend Debbie who talks politics with me AND she has teenage daughters that are home during the day because they home school. Debbie wanted to go too and her daughters graciously offered to come over to watch Isaac and be there when Megan and Karen got home. In the meantime we also added Stephanie and Michelle to the mix, along with Debbie's college age daughter. The next morning we added Jen to our group and we had a full minivan of Mom's for Mitt (except Erin, the college student). We drove there in off and on pouring rain and of course it was raining SO hard when we walked from the van to the building. We were drenched but in high spirits. We acted like groupies stopping for group photos and asking strangers to photograph 6 hyper ladies. I assured them I was an experienced groupie from my Lucas Cates Band days.
Stephanie, Jen, Me, Michelle, Debbie and Erin
We were all so happy and giddy by this point.
He gave a great speech and then answered questions. It was all very inspirational and uplifting. The media latched onto a lame question about Romney's personal finances (why is that our business or problem?!) and a comment about treason that he didn't acknowledge. It wasn't even part of the question--the lady that said it was responding to the people that were around her. Romney was right not to address it, in my opinion...and I was there. The media is annoying and I should have known that would be the takeaway. Oh well. I hope Romney will win and be given the chance to be a great president. I am 110% Team Romney!
Mitt!!
After the speech, we were lingering in the back by our seats while the crowd filed out. Then we saw him shaking hands along the rope line. My friend Stephanie and I took off, leaping across and pushing chairs out of the way. We worked our way up to the front and were able to get up close pictures and I got to shake his hand! I was leaning forward as far as I could and just stuck my hand out. And he shook it! One of the most exciting moments of my life. I could be a little embarrassed but I've decided not to be. It was just all so awesome!
Mitt!!

I'm shaking your hand! (I think he's laughing at me, not smiling at me)
After he's elected, I can say I shook the President's hand! I can't wait.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

He's totally laughing at you!

Becca Jane said...

I'm totally shaking his hand! HAHAHA, that made me laugh. Good thing he doesn't have a mullet with headlights.

That is awesome!! Love his big smile!

Nancy said...

Happy to see you, I'd say. Go Romney. I think he will be the best president we've had in a long time. And we know for sure there won't be any corruption or scandal.