Friday, April 10, 2009

The Keys to Happiness

So my mom is in town and we headed over to the zoo today.  It was cold, windy and the place smelled like animal dung (it was the mulch).  Karen started whining right from the get-go.  Isaac was making cute monkey noises in the Primate House though so that was fun.  But basically the trip felt like a bust from the beginning.  In the reptile/fish building I lost Karen.  Megan found her and told me she was in the stroller (which I'd left by the exit) eating apples.  She didn't make it sound like a big deal so I finished my stroll around the building with Isaac.  When I made it back to the stroller, Karen was sobbing and she had a little entourage of people around her comforting her. I'm sure they all thought I was the worst mom in the world.  So at this point I'm even more annoyed.  Then when I was getting a treat out of the diaper bag I noticed my keys weren't in there. I thought they had fallen out in the reptile/fish area when Karen was looking for the apples.  So I walked back to see if I could find them, they weren't there so I trekked back to the main entrance to check lost and found.  No luck.  So I called Jonathan to come rescue us. He had to go home to get the extra set of keys so he showed up after about an hour...and he was holding my keys.  What?!  I remember taking them out of my coat pocket while I was in the monkey house and putting them in the diaper bag along with my wallet and gloves.  Apparently I did not do this or we had some amazing divine intervention.  Jonathan checked the van when he arrived and found the keys in the ignition.  What?!  I must be completely losing it.  I was too happy to see my keys to be embarrassed.  I apologized to Karen for blaming her for nothing.  And the sheer happiness of not really losing my keys dispelled all my former annoyance so now I say it was a great trip to the zoo.  

10 comments:

Becca Jane said...

Wow, what a story.....!!!

Stephanie said...

I alway thought you were a great mom. So did my family. They were jealous of Natalie's mom (or Jonathan's wife) who could never be heard from the street when she was yelling the fam in the house! And, you did yard work. Sexiest thing ever as far as my husband is concerned! Kind of like him cleaning up the downstairs before I get up in the morning. He could buy ND football season tickets if that ever happened!

Funny that you would "lose" your keys like that today. On the way into the Botanical Gardens in the rain today, I saw car keys hanging from the lock on the trunk of a van. No car seats so I didn't figure they were in the gardens so I just took the keys from the lock & put them in the ignition. I figured it was less likely to get stolen that way at least. My girlfriend lost her keys at the bar one night. Someone picked them up and walked up & down the street hitting the button until the lights on a car flashed, then they got in & drove away. I'd never want someone to feel the way she did that night. You had an angel on your shoulder today.

Robyn said...

Sounds like my kind of day! I'm glad it all ended well. Good thing you can smile about it!

Catherine Faux said...

Oh I am so glad you found your keys and everything worked out well. That reminds me when i took Jack to his checkup and I put him on the chair next to me. While reading a notice on the wall, he fell off and hit his head and everyone was looking at me and I felt like such a bad mother (though I will be the first mother to tell you I am the coolest mom ever! jk ) Anyway, I hate when stuff like that happens.

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

Hey DeAnn,

Oh how I didn't know exactly how you feel! I can tell you that you "pulled a Patty" (as my sis likes to say---remind me to slap my sister :P ). I have been proud of myself lately for NOT losing my keys. BUT they have been missing for the last 10 days. Rayna found them yesterday in Erin's toy box! At least I didn't "officially" lose them! Anyway, I happen to think you a great mom and my Erin thinks that your house is super fun, so Kudos to you! :)

Becca Jane said...

So I meant to type more, but I was holding Allie. Anyway, this is ALMOST as classic as our McDonalds and Oregon Coast Key stories. I lost Cam once at the Children's Museum. I was embarrassed too when a few moms brought him to me. He wasn't upset though, he could have cared less that I wasn't around, which is the problem right there! I wish he'd stay by my side, but he's so confident! I'm glad the day worked out how it did though for you!

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

Wow! is all I can say.

Nick

Becca Jane said...

You know, one of us should type up the McDonalds story....for family history purposes. You should blog it. It's still the BEST story ever.

Keri said...

That is hilarious. You know when a trip is going to be a bust or not usually right off the bat. And don't worry about losing it - we're all right there with ya. :)

Anonymous said...

sounds traumatic to say the least!