Friday, January 1, 2010

Michigan New Year's Extravaganza

We just got back from a very fun, very tiring week in Michigan. Adam and Jennie also visited from Boston so we had 18 people all together. 12 kids: a 10-year-old, a 9-year-old, two 8-year-olds, a 7-year-old, a 5-year-old, three 4-year-olds and three 2-year-olds. It was a busy household!

On Monday, Christian & Robyn arranged for 4 babysitters to come watch our 12 kids while we went out. We ate dinner at Red Robin and then played laser tag. It was so fun! Jonathan and I won the first two games. Then they changed the rules and said we couldn't stay in one place and be snipers. So then I started getting "killed" all the time. At the end of the games I realized part of my problem was my white t-shirt glowing in the black light.
On Tuesday, Jennie, Robyn and I got a girls' day. We went to see Did You Hear About the Morgans? Hugh Grant is my favorite actor and he did not disappoint in this movie. It was a funny, cute movie. We also went to Barnes and Noble--I got the Mysterious Benedict Society and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society--both very good books. Thanks for the recommendations Jennie.

Wednesday was the guys' day. Natalie, Jacob and Joshua got to tag along too. They played networked computer games and Ultimate Frisbee. I read my book all day and pretty much ignored everyone. I did about the same on Thursday. I did make it to the New Years' Eve countdown with 20 seconds to spare.
Other highlights: the Air Zoo, Christian's omelets, workouts at the YMCA with Robyn and Jennie, playing games, chocolate chip cookies and caramel ice cream, watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, the cousins getting along so well...
Karen & Rachel riding in the airplanes at the Air Zoo
Isaac and Aaron playing in the helicopter at the Air Zoo

3 comments:

Becca Jane said...

I was wondering if you were gonna see the Hugh Grant movie. He looks hilarious in it. I always think of you when I watch Two Weeks Notice or Notting Hill.

Robyn said...

You posted first! We did have an awesome week, didn't we? I don't think I have the New Years' Eve picture..could you send it to me!
I'm glad you guys made it home safely! I didn't do much that day other than vacuum and nap.

Nicole said...

I LOVED the Mysterious Benedict Society. It was great. Personally I loved Constance -- I've even thought while I was reading it that she reminded me of my ornery 2 year old.