Friday, September 24, 2010

Breaking and Entering

Natalie left her orthodontic appliance (a bite plate) at soccer practice last night. In the grass. Just lying there. I was so mad. She didn't realize it until she was going to bed. With Jonathan out of town, I didn't want to get 4 kids out of bed and go over in the dark to look for it. I was going to watch a friend's 3 kids all day today so there wasn't going to be a chance to go look for it for awhile.

Fast forward to this morning. When I came out of my room Karen announced that she felt sick and had thrown up (on her carpet. Twice). I called my friend to tell her I'd still watch her kids but that Karen was sick. She said she'd talk to her husband and call me back. He decided to take the day off and stay home with his kids so I was off the hook for that. My brain starts working...I'll send Megan on the bus and then drive over with the other kids to look for Natalie's bite plate. Not ideal since Karen is sick but I was anxious to get looking for it. Then I remembered that my neighbor doesn't work on Fridays. I asked her to come stay at my house with Karen and Isaac while Natalie and I drove over to the soccer fields. She graciously agreed.

On the way over to the soccer fields it dawned on me that the gates might be closed and locked. I was hoping that wasn't the case. But sure enough--gates closed and locked. There's barbed wire at the top so I wasn't going to scale the fence (plus I can't really scale fences). Natalie tried to squeeze through the gap but got nervous. I had my phone with me so I looked up the email with the soccer league director's phone number and called him. No answer. Now what? I guess we'd have to try later after I could get someone to open the gate for us. Natalie said she'd try again to get through the gate. She made it! She ran over to her practice field and...found her bite plate! Yay! She squeezed back through the fence and I drove her to school and she was only 5 minutes late. A happy ending to a very stressful situation.

9 comments:

Annelise said...

I dread the days when everything seems to go wrong. Luckily yours had a happy ending.

Leslie said...

Glad you found it. I think it's hilarious that you thought to take a picture of her squeezing through the gate!! I'm also glad your husband will be home soon, you need a break...I will soon enough!

Stephanie said...

Wow! I never knew I had a group of delinquents living across the street from me! ;) And you said your life was so boring...

Robyn said...

Nice!
Rachel lost one of her implants at soccer practice, but we didn't have such good luck--its still lost!

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

Love this story! Thanks for sharing your criminal exploits (not to mention contributing to the delinquency of a minor).

Keri said...

That is great! I can't believe she found it so fast. And a good story too. :)

Nancy said...

Losing retainers must be a part of Americana. At BRUIN WOODS, I used to find 3-4 every week (times 10 weeks) after the Old Fashioned Family Picnic.

Katie said...

That is hilarious! When having skinny kids really pays off. :)

Rebecca said...

We heard about this event at testimony meeting. I'm happy Natalie had a testimony building opportunity, even though she had to break the law!!! ;)
Love,
The Primary President :)