Thursday, February 3, 2011

Much Ado About Nothing

The drive-by media must have made a big deal about snow in Ohio because several people have asked me if we survived. It wasn't a big deal--maybe other areas were hit harder than Madison. It's tough to judge snow totals because we already had so much on the ground and there was a lot of drifting. I'd say just a few inches but we did have some 2-3 foot drifts in some places. The biggest deal was the ice and wind storm we had Tuesday night. It made a sheet of ice on our driveway and most of the snow that we had to clear away was thick and crunchy. School was canceled for 2 days but it was completely pointless. The roads were always fine. I would think Ohioans would have thicker skin but it's a bunch of wimps that make the school closing decisions. Probably just people that don't want to go to work. I would love a real blizzard!

These pictures aren't the best. The first one has a strip where we used the snow blower, but it's very frozen snow--not powdery--so we gave up. If you walk there your feet don't sink at all--you just walk on top of the snow.
In this picture you can see the ice (solid!) that is left on our driveway after clearing it, as well as the section we didn't clear (it's in front of our currently unused 3rd garage).
A lot of the snow in these pictures is accumulated from numerous storms in the past weeks and not just from Snowmageddon.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I was wondering. We got BLASTED here with about 10 inches in 12 hours. School's been closed for 3 days & they have a delay again today for the wind chill!

Leslie said...

I'm glad it was not that bad. We were out for the whole week.

Trent and Rhonda Wardwell said...

I'm so not jealous of your snow! And every time I see your kids, they blow me away at how fast they are growing up. Glad you guys are safe and warm!