Sunday, October 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Natalie!

I have a 12-year-old! Normally this could be cause for alarm. But I was ready for this day to happen.  Natalie is the youngest of 14 Beehives (name of 12/13 year old girls at church) in our ward and she has been alone in Primary for 5 months. She is the only one that didn't go to Girls' Camp. And I've had 2 mothers of her friends tell me on several different occasions that they couldn't wait for Natalie to turn 12 so she would be in Young Women with their daughters. So it was a long time coming. I'm glad I didn't have to freak out about having a 12-year-old!

Jonathan was in Chicago on her birthday so she rescheduled it to Thursday. On her actual birthday, I hung up a Happy Birthday banner and her friends at school decorated her locker. We had brats for dinner. But the highlight was that she got to go to Young Women!! They had presents and treats for her there.

On her rescheduled birthday, she got to open her presents: remote control helicopter, pajamas, candy, socks, Scrabble, money...

We ate Chinese food for dinner and had a chocolate mousse cake for dessert. And we finally sang Happy Birthday to her. She was a good sport about having her birthday rescheduled.

On the Saturday after her birthday, Jonathan and I went to the Columbus Temple with Natalie and 15 other youth from the ward. It was awesome that Natalie was able to go so soon after her birthday and it was wonderful to be in the temple with her. We drove there and back (6 hours of driving!) with 5 delightful girls. They were so funny. We had dinner at Wendy's. A fun day.

Here's Natalie at age 3:
And age 5:

4 comments:

Becca Jane said...

I'm sad that most of my Natalie memories are of when she was SO little. Pokey Mountain!! No Chicken!

Happy Birthday Natalie!!

Lindsay Z said...

Holy COW, she is gorgeous! And move here. We could use more beehives... ;)

Robyn said...

Happy birthday, Natalie! Those little pictures of her are so familiar....When I met her, she was obsessed with the moon!

Annelise said...

Wow! Twelve? She is such a fun girl. I remember babysitting for a ton when she was two:(