Tuesday, October 25, 2011

New Orleans!

I took a long overdue, much needed trip to New Orleans to visit my sister Michelle. We hadn't spent one-on-one time together in a really long time! Needless to say, it was a blast. I got there Thursday evening. She picked me up from the airport and we went to Sam's school for a block party/fundraiser. I got to hear him play bass (he's playing for the musical). And I got to meet their lovable dog, Emerson.
The next day we went running. It sort of killed me because I haven't been consistently running lately--but at least New Orleans is sea level (or below) and the weather was perfect. Michelle had to spend a few hours on campus that afternoon so I enjoyed the quiet/alone time (a rarity for me!) with a nap. That evening we went to Sam's composition class and then out to dinner at the Camellia Grill. I had a yummy, greasy bacon cheeseburger. A nighttime driving tour of the great Halloween decorations in New Orleans and an episode of Castle capped off the night.
Gorgeous house on St Charles Ave with lots of "punny" skeletons
On Saturday Michelle and I rode the street car down to the French Quarter. We ate muffaletta sandwiches (yum!) and beignets (also yum!). I loved just walking around and taking in the scenery--everything is so European. Reminded me of my time in Belgium and Holland. After naptime (☺) we took another driving tour of New Orleans. We went to the Sculpture Garden at City Park, I saw Lake Pontchartrain, and areas that have been rebuilt, mostly rebuilt, and partly rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina. It's amazing that there are still so many indicators of the devastation, yet as a whole the city has recovered beautifully. We were mutually worn out by that evening so we ate take-out pizza and watched another episode of Castle.

Michelle at the Sculpture Garden

Me standing by Lake Pontchartrain (just before being attacked by fire ants)
On Sunday I attended church with the local ward. They have a small chapel and seem to be bursting at the seams. There were 5 convert baptisms the weekend I was there. That afternoon the New Orleans eating tour continued. I had a roast beef Po'boy. Yummy and messy! That evening we went to a restaurant/bar with a friend of Michelle's to watch the Saints/Colts game (the Saints won 62-7!). When we walked in, Michelle asked if I felt like I was at a bar. My answer...I am at a bar. We drank Coke and water and ate chips and dip and had a great time.
Sisters--everyone thought we looked so much alike, except for the hair

My nephew Sam (right) and his best friend Jamie, embarrassed that we were taking their picture
On Monday, my last day, we went for another run and then went out to eat. I had the best breakfast ever. Boudin sausage, eggs, biscuit and hashbrowns. I was so stuffed. We souvenir shopped until it was time to go to the airport. What a fun trip. I ate so much good food, had plenty of time to relax, and most of all, had an absolute blast with my older sister who I love and miss so much!!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

So much fun! Did you take pictures of the "partly rebuilt" part of town?