Sunday, February 7, 2010

Settling In

When we moved to Ohio in 2004, Jonathan left the first week I was there for a business trip. Same thing happened when we moved to Wisconsin. I got left alone with the kids in a new city and a house full of boxes. A few weeks before we moved here, Jonathan mentioned that he needed to make a trip to Indiana--again the first week I would be here. I asked him to either not do the trip or let's delay moving another week. I'd rather hang out in Wisconsin alone where we had our routine than in Ohio amidst chaos. After 2 months of commuting back and forth and living alone in a hotel, Jonathan was ready for us to move so he said he'd send someone else on the trip and we'd keep our same time frame. Well, Jonathan went to Indiana last week--they needed him to be there "to strategize". Jonathan's boss said she's going to get me a present. I guess I sounded pretty pathetic. :) It was fine though and since I had to leave Wisconsin sometime, I was actually glad to have it behind me. I'd been avoiding the inevitable for 2 months and it was time to come.
The kids are doing really well. They are making good friends at church and seem to be settling into their new school. Karen most likely won't finish out her year of preschool--there is a waiting list for preK here, plus we'd have to pay for it. We may join the YMCA instead and keep her busy with swim, gymnastics and whatever else they have. Natalie and Megan start school an hour earlier here--the bus comes at 7:20 and they are home by 2:30. Their school day is 30 minutes shorter. Sometimes I miss the quiet afternoons, but it is nice to have them home longer and they've been able to play with their new friends across the street a couple of times. I used to get up at 6am to exercise--now we're all up at that hour getting ready for school.
The Ohio air seems to have cured Isaac of all his ailments. We got kind of lax in giving him his medications for asthma and reflux. But he's been breathing fine and no throw up. So we've stopped all the meds for now. I'm convinced there was something in our house in Milwaukee that was making him sick--his mysterious ailments started when we moved there and now have stopped. We are pretty much unpacked. We still have to organize the laundry room (which is no longer a dark, scary corner of the basement), our closet (which is a room!), the garage and the basement. But we are moved in and functional.

4 comments:

Becca Jane said...

Oh wow, that's great to hear about Isaac doing better! Is Karen starting Kindergarten this fall? Is she really that old already? I'm glad you are adjusting well. Your house looks amazing! Wish I could come visit. We'd have so much fun!

Keri said...

The place looks great! I hear ya about quiet afternoons. My kids are out at 2:3o too. You'll get used to it. Can't wait to see more pics of your new home!

Megan said...

Glad you guys made it and are getting all settled! Your house looks beautiful!

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

Love what I can see of the house so far! So happy to hear that Issac is healthier in Ohio. That is definitely a big thumbs up about moving! Miss you!