When we got to the gig we saw the band standing at the end of the parking lot. I yelled, "Is that the Lucas Cates Band?!" and we went over to say hi. We got our first round of hugs. The gig was at a sports bar named Pooley's. The stage was set up in a separate room--basically a big gym. There was a retirement party going on--so it was a tame, family-friendly environment, although I'm sure we were the only ones over 21 drinking soda and water.
We stayed in a hotel in Madison that night so we wouldn't have the long drive back to Milwaukee. But instead of sleeping, we stayed up until 4am talking. Then our phones started ringing at 8am. So it was a short night. We had lunch at Noodles & Company (slept through breakfast), walked around the Farmer's Market by the Capitol (I got gourds, a wreath and jam), looked at the shops on State Street, saw one of Amy's college apartments and baked in the 90 degree weather. 90 in October--what's up with that? But it fit right in with me walking around cities in really hot temps (Boston twice, and DC). Other than being hot and tired, it was a lot of fun. I really love these girls. I feel blessed to be friends with them and that even though I moved away, it's still feasible to get together and create more fun memories. And in the meantime we have email, facebook, blogs, and cell phones.After we got back from Madison, Amy, Emily and I went to see a movie--Life As We Know It. Then we responsibly went to bed at 9:30pm and I slept soundly until 7am. I was glad for the good night's sleep because I was a little nervous about my solo 4 hour leg from Fort Wayne to home. We went to church and got to say hi to lots of people. I still miss it but it doesn't feel like home anymore--I guess that's a good thing? Emily and I had a fun drive back to Fort Wayne. No traffic this time! We did see a skydiver appear to plunge to the ground. That was kind of freaky but I haven't found anything online about it so I'm hoping that means he was fine. We listened to the CD 5 times straight.
Before heading home, I stopped by my old neighborhood in Huntertown and had dinner and conversation with the Snowbergers. They were such fun neighbors and I really miss living by them. I hadn't seen them for 2 years. With Emily in Fort Wayne and Christian and Robyn moving there, I'm excited I'll be able to see Stephanie and her family more often. It was really great to see them. Kiana is all grown up--she used to play with Natalie and Megan. Stephanie's "baby" Vivenne is 4 and she has a new baby boy Quinlan who is just to die for. He's so cute and chubby and gave the best smiles. The last leg home was uneventful. I listened to some Conference talks and John Mayer and managed to stay awake. I got home at 10:45pm.
I am grateful for this weekend. It makes me feel like a real person to go out and be crazy and laugh and have fun. Patty, Amy, Emily and Katie--you guys are the best. Thanks for being groupies (and cougars) with me. And thank you to our husbands who support us maintaining our friendship. Until next time...
8 comments:
Love it!
I wish I had the same relationship with JM as you do with TLCB!! Haha, yeah RIGHT!!!! Glad you had a fun time, Girl's Weekends are the best, I'm STILL on a high from mine in Oregon! Miss you Sis!
Sounded like so much fun! Maybe some day I will find a group of friends like that?
So fun! I'm glad it was worth the drive!
DeAnn, I love that you're a groupie! And yes, doing fun stuff like that with girlfriends does make you feel alive. I'm glad you have those girls!
I know what you mean about feeling like a real person... I LOVE my girlfriend weekends!!
Great post, DeAnn! LOVED spending time with you and the girls! You are not a groupie...you're a ROCK STAR!
:) Patty
PS Does this mean I get out of posting?
I had been wondering why you are such a TLCB junkie, but I finally looked them up. Now I can see why. Totally AWESOME!
Post a Comment